Mabuhay! I'm Grace from the Philippines. This is my travel diary.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Exploring Bohol (The Do-It-Yourself Edition)

http://Fans2Earn.com/?ref=250676

Yey! My husband and I had a splendid 3-day vacay at the land of thousand hills and friendly people - Bohol! Since it was my first "do it your self" getaway, there were some little mishaps occurred and therefore lessons learned about traveling. But a DIY adventure will offer you feelings of joy and independence so I regret not the experience I had during our stay in Bohol.


DAY 1: BOHOL COUNTRYSIDE TOUR

We arrived in Tagbilaran Airport at around 9:14 a.m. via Zest Air. It was a hassle-free flight which is completely different from what I've read about reviews and feed-backs in dealing with Zest Air. We were just 4-minutes delayed from our estimated time of arrival which is not so really bad. As I expected,  many cab drivers infiltrated the terminal's main gate. They were offering airport-hotel transfer or countryside tour which I guessed is too pricey for a shoestring budgeted travelers like us. Thank goodness, I've already contracted a low priced rent-a-car service prior to our arrival at Bohol so our driver/tour guide was already waiting for us outside the airport. 

A little mishap occurred when our rented car suddenly was running out of gasoline. And it happened even before we leave the airport complex! My husband was already faced-palming but my anxiety was due to the hazy weather that day. I really don't want our trip to be a messed up.  To make the story short, we were 40-minutes delayed for our countryside tour and I anticipated that we will not be able to visit all 10 tourist destinations in Bohol countryside.  But its okay with me for as long as the sun will grant my wish. Due to our limited time, these are the places we've visited in Bohol Day 1. 


**drumroll  please!**


BLOOD COMPACT MONUMENT


The monument of the blood compact is located in Tagbilaran City. I think its a 15-minute drive away from the airport. The monument depicted the sandugo between Datu Sikatuna of Bohol and the Spanish conquistador Miguel Lopez de Legazpi as a sign of their friendship. This is considered as the first treaty between Spaniards and Filipinos. 

Entrance Fee: none







BACLAYON CHURCH
Considered as one of the oldest churches in the Philippines, The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception or Baclayon Church is a must-see tourist destination in Bohol. If you're a history nuts like me (well, I'm a history teacher by profession, that's why) this place is unmistakably for you. 

Entrance Fee: Church - none ; Museum - Php 50


The church's facade

The church's interior.
FYI, wala pong misa na nagaganap. Hehe.


LOBOC RIVER CRUISE

Loboc River is one of my favorite spots in Bohol. You don't want to miss Loboc River Cruise if you want to indulge in gastronomic lunch buffet while cruising inside a floating restaurant. 

Entrance Fee: Php 400 ( inclusion of buffet lunch, tax and entrance fee).





The river is murky green, if not clear, but one of the cleanest in the country



The guests are required to be at the complex 30 minutes before the cruise starts. We're a bit starving that time but the awesome sight gave pleasure to our waiting. You may choose from a variety of river cruising vessels that offer sumptuous buffet lunch before going to the dock. 


I don't know if it goes the same with other floating restaurants, but the vessel we chose offered buffet that basically comprises of fried foods (pork, chicken and sea foods), veggies, salad and variety of malagkits and fresh fruits for desserts. My personal favorites were fish fillet and cucumber salad. The taste was not so especial but not so bad either.  But my husband was quite delighted for it satisfied his roomy appetite that day. 


Some locals from surrounding barangays performed native Vizayan songs and dances to entertain the passing guests. You can buy souvenirs at their stations like native handicrafts and ukulele or just drop some pennies at their donation boxes to support their livelihood projects.

The cascading water of Busay Falls. 




This is life! Eating limitless foods while cruising in an unspoiled river surrounded with lush greenery and serenaded by a cruise singer. The weather was still hazy and it even rained before we finished the cruise.  Then I thought, the setting was a bit romantic since I always love the rain whenever I just sat idly with nothing else to do but observe. 


CHOCOLATE HILLS

On the contrary, the weather in Carmen, Bohol was a bit sunny when we arrived. Until lesser clouds hovered the sky so I was so grateful the sun finally heed my bidding! As you see, the long terrain of these sun kissed hills were marvelous to the eyes. Chocolate Hills is  indeed the queen attraction of Bohol.

Entrace Fee: Php 50


These cone-shaped hills are actually made of limestone covered in grasses. Rey, our driver, said that Bohol was once under the sea eons of years ago. The formation  of these hills are shaped by wind, water and erosion in the succeeding time. There was a legend too, about two giants and they had this little dispute and I think you know what happens next. Lol.







BILAR MAN-MADE FOREST

This is a man-made Mahogany forest stretching for about 2 kilometers along the border of the towns of Loboc and Bilar. 

Entrance Fee: none

 The  canopies of these mahogany trees on both sides of the road formed a majestic arch- an spectacular view that is worth a photo.

Lovers under the tree... <3




TARSIER SANCTUARY

Due to our limited time, we set our final destination at the Tarsier Sanctuary in Loboc. Its nearly 5 in the afternoon when we arrived. There were few tarsiers to be found because since they are nocturnal animals, a lot of them were already somewhere in the middle of the forest hunting for foods. Sayang talaga. T__T

Entrance Fee: Php 60


Me together with Leo and our driver/tour guide, Rey.

How many tarsier statues did you see? lol.

Oops, its bawal!  Holding tarsier is strictly prohibited. If stressed, these little primates are prone to self infliction or much worst, they'll commit suicide.

Which one doesn't belong in the group? None? lols. One of these tarsiers is the oldest in the sanctuary.

The Plan


Everything starts with a plan. I searched the net especially collective buying sites (e.g. Metrodeal, Ensogo...) to avail cheap Bohol tour package with airfare and accommodation. I have nothing against collective buying thingy but I just realized that I'm out of control on choosing our hotel accommodation or daily activities during the tour which I think is a little frustration on my part as a traveler. Even a good friend of mine assisted me in availing a tour package from her aunt's travel agency. But what it offers was too pricey for traveling couples like us. Probably, services offered by a travel agency is a must option when traveling in big groups. At the end, we decided that its a DIY tour or not.

First thing to do for a DIY travel is decide what part of the country (or overseas) you want to visit. Search for the tourist  destinations it offers. Definitely it all depends on your liking or what interests you. As for me, I dig for history and nature combined that's why I chose Bohol.

Second, book your flight at least 3 months in advance to avail the airline's promo.  I booked our flight via Zest Air last January but I only got the lowest fare because that time their promo for cheap fare was selling like hot cakes. Using credit card is hassle-free and cheaper, too.

Then I browsed the net for lists of hotels, resorts and even pension houses within Tagbilaran City and Panglao IslandSince the activities for Day 1 is basically outdoors, I thought lodging in a pricey hotel on that day is a big no-no. And so, I looked for a cheap pension house that should be within Tagbilaran City for our Day 1. I found Marcelina Guesthouse through Booking.com. On the other hand, our Day 2 was at Panglao Island (I have a separate post for this!). There were so many resorts and hotels to choose from via Agoda.com and Booking.com. I decided to choose and booked directly at Panglao Regents Park because of its reputations for quality rooms and amenities in affordable tourist's price. 


Marcelina Guesthouse at Tagbilaran City.
 I was surprised that its just 5-minutes away from Tagbilaran Airport  by foot!

Standard Room: Php 700/day


Panglao Rergents Park
A 10-minute walk from here  is the famed Alona Beach

Standard Room: Php 1800/day

Search also for directions and mode of transportation (and how much it'll cost) in getting to your chosen hotel or  destinations. This may help since some local drivers will charged you with tourist price so its better to be well informed to avoid such incidents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment